Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

I Believe In Bike Fairies

Have you ever encountered a place where it's too far to walk and too near for a ride? In my world, they belong to a group called the `in-betweens`, along with a lot of other in-betweens. That's another story. My workplace is one in-between I get to live with everyday. This is particularly very advantageous to my part, I know, given that I have so much time in my hands to prepare for other things rather than remorsefully setting it for travel time. I leave home around five minutes before work starts and arrive two minutes before. I walk around the block, ride the jeep and cross an overpass bridge, and voila. Distance advantage? Yes. But sometimes I can't help but feel extremely disturbed by the fact that I pay 7 pesos for less than a minute ride, not to mention that I pay for the destruction of the environment. As I painfully count every peso, excruciatingly reaching for the driver and letting the coins drop one by one to his palms, my nagging conscience slowly eats away what's left of my morning optimism. I know I can do something about this. To walk would be the best way but there might be days that I'll come as lazy or would be making excuses not to and will end up taking the jeep once again. I need choices. And the answer? HPV. A simple human powered vehicle.

So I come down to skateboards and bikes.

Skateboard: Overrated. Not just by Avril Lavigne, but also those kids who wear their jeggings so tight moose knuckles become abundant. (Thank Agnes, my officemate, for the term.) Plus not all outfits could work out with this piece of ingenuity. I can't skate my way to work wearing slim fit jeans and my grandfather's oversized shirt. Fashion fail.

So I lean towards the bike side.

Bike: It's cute. It's efficient. And I can arrive at the office without looking like a punk. Fashion win. Cool. So bike it is.

The question now is:

Where in the world would I get $169.99?!


I would also like to have a basket in front. That would be grand.

Santa? Anyone? Isn't there a Bike Fairy or something? 

`Clap Clap Clap. I believe in you Tink.`

Let me dream about this bike.

Good night brave souls.

No comments: