Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Eat Pray Love

I don't believe in conventionality. Even though some of us claim of being in one, the absolution of it is too..er..absolute to be in one. Besides, who draws the line?

Sushi is not a conventional breakfast for most of us. And it was my breakfast for today. I woke up with a flailing head, which I haven't had for the longest time. I usually have this when I have an overproducing brain streak of a week and I wake up to a day of a rest. My brain sort of "over-rests" as well, so I have vivid dreams of which only stays in the dreamworld, and I have no way of remembering it, thank goodness. Anyway, the vividness of it caused a tragic nosebleed again. So it's a good nosebleed sunday morning for me then. A good start for the tuna sashimi, it almost tasted the same.

It was lunch time already when I finished my first movie of the weekend, which is How To Train Your Dragon. And yes my sister is right about Toothless resembling our cat Buningning, sans the smile. Buning is more...snob. It was my second movie though that sort of made my day, hence the title of the post. It was there that proved one of my long time stress reliever exercises-- smile therapy. In the movie, you have to meditate smiling, not only with your face, but also with your eyes, your lips, your brain, your heart... and even your liver. Mine is when you wake up in the morning, greet the day with a smile. Always smile when you wake up. Lots of reason to. You're still breathing for one. No matter how bad that dream of yours was, you're still leaving it to oblivion thus having the chance to do just exactly the opposite of it. And most of all, whatever bad thing happened yesterday, you have yet another chance of redemption. One more smile exercise I want to share is rather difficult for most of us. When we stress ourselves or when we find ourselves in the everything-seems-to-burn-in-flames kind of day, stop whatever you're doing and smile. Smile your biggest smile until you feel silly. Smile until you feel the smile actually being authentic. And then you laugh at you. It's an exhilarating feeling actually, but it takes some getting used to, and honestly, I sometimes forget this exercise and let myself be eaten up by the negative. The idea here is to let you feel light amidst the heavy heart.

I can never say I am unconventional. An irony because: one, the mere fact you're discussing conventionality renders you unconventional; two, people always label you different; and three, you know you are and you know you aren't. Why? Because I don't believe in being conventional. It's just the innate nature of humans to set a standard. I myself is guilty of having to practice it. And sometimes you regret saying things and doing things after you look back. Regret is one of the constant things a man would never admit. Someone just told me before the weekend that I am detached. I said though it sounds bad, it actually works for me in several cases. Because it helps me heal. Because it is a defense mechanism that my body grew into. I was never like this to start, but I learned the art. It wouldn't mean forever anyways. It's just a matter of time when someone comes taking my breath away again. I believe so. And when I believe in something, I dedicate myself to it.

Conventional and unconventional. I might not be both. But I'm sure I can be. I just choose not to.

No comments: